We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

The Green Deal

June 17, 2013 1:44 PM

Liberal Democrats are leading the fight against Climate Change. We have created the biggest-ever home insulation scheme through our Green Deal, which offers loans for people to install energy efficiency measures in their homes. This will reduce the amount of energy they use and cut energy bills. It will also create 60,000 jobs and apprenticeships.

What do you get?
A loan to help cover the upfront cost of energy-saving improvements that is paid back
through the savings made on your energy bills. Improvements which may be covered by
the Green Deal Include:
• insulation - eg. loft or cavity wall insulation
• heating
• draught-proofing
• double glazing
• renewable energy technologies - eg. solar panels or wind turbines
Who is eligible?
Owner occupiers and tenants are eligible to be assessed for the Green Deal. Your eligiblity
for the scheme will be based on that assessment.
How do you apply?
You can apply for the Green Deal in four simple steps.
1. Get an assessment to see what improvements can be made and how much they
would save you
2. Choose a Green Deal provider to carry out the work
3. You must sign your Green Deal Plan, a contract between yourself and the provider
detailing what work will be done and how much it will cost
4. Pay off your money in instalments through your energy bill.

There is no guarantee the scheme will save you money. Most improvements should
reduce your heating bill because you'll be using less electricity, gas or oil - but the actual
savings depend on your energy use and the future cost of energy.
If you wish to pay off your Green Deal early you can do to but you may be charged a fee.
The Green Deal is tied to the property if you move home you no longer pay for the
improvements. If you move into a Green Deal property you become responsible for the
repaying the loan. If you are a tenant you, rather than the landlord, will be expected to pay
the repayments.
You are permitted to change electricity supplier but only if the new supplier is participating
in the green deal.

More information on what to do next can be found on the Dept of Energy and Climate Change website.